Using Space Heaters Safely
- Keep space heaters 3 feet away from drapes, furniture or other things that can burn.
- Put heaters on a level surface away from places where someone might bump into it and knock it over.
- Avoid using extension cords. If you must use an extension cord, use a heavy duty one marked with a power rating at least as high as that of the heater itself.
- Never leave a space heater unattended.
- Never leave a space heater on while you sleep.
- Supervise children and pets near space heaters.
- Buy heaters that are tested and labeled by a nationally recognized testing company, such as Underwriter’s Laboratories Inc.(UL).
- Keep electric heaters away from water. Never use them near a sink or in the bathroom.
- Never use an unvented kerosene heater. It is illegal to sell or use them in Massachusetts.